Read the daily quote from Pope Francis

 

Church History

 

1889

Sacred Heart Parish established at 6th and Bell by Bishop Aegedius Junger appointed Fr. Damanez as pastor. Sacred Heart Parish was formerly a part of Our Lady of Good Help Parish, administered by Rev. Prefontaine

1890

Bishop Junger urged the Redemptorists to accept the parish

1891

The Redemptorists formally accepted charge of the parish. Sacred Heart Elementary School opened. The Dominican Sisters of Tacoma staffed the school for 3 years.

1894   

Sisters of the Holy Names replaced the Dominican Sisters

1899

Total destruction of the church by fire (at the time, all indications led to the belief that the fire was the result of arson) and the laying of cornerstone of the new church by Bishop O’Dea at 6th and Bell.

1900   

Dedication of the new church by Bishop O’Dea

1923   

St. Vincent de Paul Conference was activated in Sacred Heart Parish

1924   

The first Solemn Novena in honor of Our Mother of Perpetual Help was officiated by Fr. Chapoten, C.Ss.R.

1927    Breaking ground for the new school and chapel at Warren Avenue and John Street

1928   

Breaking ground for the new Sisters’ Convent at Warren Avenue and Thomas Street. Dedication of the new school and chapel at Warren and John by Bishop O’Dea.

1940   

Fr. Vincent and Fr. Vickstrom were the first Redemptorists ordained from the parish

1953   

Fr. Richard Ochiltree, C.Ss.R., who was raised in Sacred Heart Parish, celebrated his first Mass here

1958   

World’s Fair Committee condemned much of the land of the vicinity. Sixteen property owners, including Sacred Heart Parish, appealed to the State Supreme Court. The parish, under the directions of Fr. Bolger, C.Ss.R., and with the legal counsel of Mr. Charles Carey, won the cause

1959   

The Redemptorist Congregation built the present Rectory at 205 2nd Avenue North

1960   

Archbishop Connolly blessed and laid the cornerstone of the present church. Fr. Bolger arranged for Washington logs to be shipped to Italy, out of which the statues of the church were carved.

1969   

The school, which was staffed by the Sisters of the Holy Names, closed.

1972   

The convent closed

1979   

Parish assembly and the first elections for Parish Council members. The Sacred Heart Shelter of the Catholic Community Services of the Archdiocese of Seattle occupied the 2nd and 3rd floors of the former convent.

1987   

Saint Vincent de Paul began serving noon meals to the homeless, in addition to the sack lunch, food bank, & winter clothing programs

1989   

Sacred Heart celebrates 100 years of ministry in Seattle as the city’s oldest existing parish

2000   

In entering the 21st century, Sacred Heart continues its long history of education, service, and social outreach to its community

2002   

Fr. Richard Quinn, C.Ss.R., was stationed here as the new pastor. It was also the year when restoration began on the church, school, and rectory

2004

Sacred Heart’s Young Adults group formed under the care of Fr. Joseph Morin, C.Ss.R. The parish began to house the Downtown Emergency Service Center (DESC) night shelter for men in the basement of the School building

2005   

Fr. Ivan Dawson, C.Ss.R. became pastor

2007  

Fr. Harry Grile, C.Ss.R. became pastor and Fr. Joe Ngo, C.Ss.R. became parochial vicar

2010   

Archbishop Brunett consecrated the church altar and blessed the Adoration Chapel

2011   

Fr. Binh Ta, C.Ss.R. became pastor and Fr. Mark Scheffler, C.Ss.R. became parochial vicar

2012   

Queen Anne Food Bank at Sacred Heart took over St. Vincent de Paul to continue the sack lunch & food bank programs

2014   

125th Anniversary of the parish

 

 
Online Giving

Online Giving

Secure and Convenient Donate now!